Skip to main content

Day 6 Newport trip

Start of Day 7

Position: 27° 24.9485' N 066° 46.6755' W

Boat: All good with the boat and sailing very slowly.
Last Night after low winds all day we put the Code 5 away and were preparing for the night sail when all hel broke loose and 40knots of wind came out of nowhere and I was on the foredeck sorting out the furler which was jamming when it hit well as you can imagine a drowning rat finishing the work as quickly as possible because if the sail came loose in that wind it would have shredded and we may have landed in the water (broaching)
This morning at 2 am John decided to motor as the wind had died again and we have been motoring for 7 hours until we put another bigger sail up and tried that one but still there is not enough wind so we are motoring again

People: we are both fine
Speed: 5 to 5.5 KTS
Wind: 3 kts south easterly
Distance 138 miles sailed yesterday
Course: true , to Newport Rode island
Conditions: good with average swells of 0.5 m

24-hour mileage: 138 miles with around 868 miles still to go to Newport and now past half way

Comments:
Not Much to report today because its calm and we are motoring in a very sticky heat
Last night after the storm squall it cleared up and because the moon is waning the stars were out in their glory and WOW is all i can say
When there is absolutely no light pollution to spoil nature its amazing and whats even better is if there are no clouds i will enjoy that for another three nights before the Night glow of the USA cities light pollution spoils it for me
John tells me the owners have booked the boat onto a marina for a week so we can use fresh water to clean it for them and then they will put us onto a bouy out in the bay until our departure and they have agreed to cover the costs of our arrival covid tests so we only hae two days of quarantine.
Either way we will still have to stay safe from the Covid Zombies in USA while we wait (they say its still a hot hot spot but so was Brazil when we were there)
More than that I just hope there arent any more delays in our flights back to french Polynesia

Kevin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Mrs Opela ready to sail again

Hi All

I have been back two weeks now and working towards getting mrs Opela back in order again because when I got back the fact that i had left her alone for such a long time made her decide to take revenge
Bev on Dandelion had been looking after her for me by airing her out once a week and checking the bilges as well and running the engine once or twice for me and for that I am truly thankful but my lady is a very jealous lady and she wasnt happy to be left standing so when I got on board I was expecting to find mould and black algae and a host of other things lurking in corners not often looked at.

My first big one was that the new stay wires i had had installed in Le Marin in Martinique a year and a half ago were worn such that one fell on the deck because the hook swaged to the end simply snapped and on further inspection i found the others were all cracked as well which means I cannot sail her.
I phoned the suppliers and they were struggling to remember my boat but soon remember…

A sailing Adventure no one would want to share Author Kevin

A journey from heaven to hell and back
Having have a really wonderful time in Cuba it was time to say goodbye and head towards St Lucia so I would be in plenty of time before they arrived for their two month visit So after much planning and preparation I set off at 0830 hrs after a resounding farewell wave from all the friends I had made in Santiago da Cuba and it was humbling to note that people I had known for such a short time were happy to come out at 7am to wave me off

Maybe they were actually coming to see if I Gould get off the jetty  single handed or if I would call for help because they all thought I was loco
Well I got my clearance and jumped onto the boat having loosened the lines and it went perfectly and I was off
I knew I would have to motor some way on the first day as the winds would be very light and so I i called to wish some Irish friends on their way and headed for the gap between Haiti and Jamaica .
About two hours out the wind picked up and I was able to sail f…