Skip to main content

Posts

The airtickets saga

We Arrived in Brazil with all the great intentions of Sailing on after a few days towards Capetown

Well the Cape was closed and we found out that if we carried on we would probably only be able to get flights home to our boats in 2021 because Cyrils puppeteers were controlling his strings well and international travel was not on the list
So after loads of deliberation we decided to leave the boat in Cabedelo and ask Brian to care for it while we were away and then come back to Brazil in January and finish the Job of getting it to Capetown

After much discussion John and I decided to buy tickets through a travel agent because if we did it ourselves on the internet we would not be in control if there were any cancellations etc. It turned out to be a really good decision

Pamela introduced us to a travel agency where one of here friends works and we booked airtickets from Joao Pessoa to Papeete flying on LATAM airlines and we were to fly to Sao Paulo to Chile then to Easter Island and onto…
Recent posts

Day 5 of Quarantine

June 20th 2020 QD5

Position: We are in the quarantine anchorage in Grenada with Anchor down

Boat: Gearbox is re-installed and now we are waiting for the raw water pump so we can test it again

wind Its been howling for the last few days and its good that we are at anchorage because the wind can flow through the boat and keep us cool
We are expecting a big blow tomorrow so we have to be prepared

People: We are both ok and happy
Alistair and Ingrid went shopping for us again and brought treasures like fresh vegetables and some more chicken
John had asked Alistair to get beers and he obliged so between us so we can have beer o clock again but in moderation

Comments:
We are in day 5 of quarantine and its really funny because when I was at the quarantine dock i asked for feedback about the virus free certificates we submitted on arrival and if out 14 days would be reduced. Their response is as follows 'We have no proof that you did not stop on the way from getting the certificate to the…

June 17th in St Georges

June 17th 2020

Position: We are in the quarantine anchorage in Grenada with Anchor down

Boat: Boat Is good and we are swinging wildly as the winds are strong here outside St Georges

wind Winds when coming in Yesterday were very good however we had to slow down because we were going too fast and I am a fraidy cat who didnt want to arrive and anchor at night without a working engine
John was more confident but acceeded too keep me happy and come in in daylight so we put all sails except the 3rd reef away and reduced speed to 3 knots to get our timing right only thing with that was the waves rolled us a lot. So anyone who would have been sea sick would have had it bad with the swaying and rolling sometimes over the 45 degrees mark. But having done the preparation we got here to the anchorage are in great time with the sun blinding us as as it rose over the anchorage. We sailed past the area so we could see what spaces were available and then tacked back to come in closer
Once we chose th…

Start 15th June 2020

June 14th 2020

Position: 11° 14.2745' N 059° 56.4821' W

Boat: Same as yesterday.

wind
Yesterday we had all sorts of wind ranging from no wind to 18 knots with lots of rain
Variable from North and west

People: we are both ok

Boat Speed: 0 to 8 KTS under sails

Distance 124 miles in 24 hours miles sailed with a total of 1912 miles sailed so far and approximately 118 miles of the 2030 miles to go until we arrive in St Georges Grenada for quarantine of 14 days
We are expecting an ETA of June 16 at around lunchtime if conditions stay the same
Course: true ,Directly to Grenada around the north tip of Tobago
Conditions: Swells are 1.5 m and the big ones still throw the boat around

Comments:
So yesterday we spent the day between rain and squalls and changing sails from pole out to pole down and the rest of the time we were mailing friends and anyone we needed help from Alistair and Ingrid are helping a lot already with Advice and arranging things for us
We have been given permissi…

Start 14th June 2020

June 14th 2020

Position: 10° 12.0030' N 058° 08.3712' W

Boat: Same as yesterday. Selector problem persists and we now know the clutches are worn so the job will have to be done in Grenada when we arrive

wind
Yesterday we had all sorts of wind ranging from no wind to 40 knots in a big squall on my shift in the night
Variable from North and west

People: we are both ok

Boat Speed: 0 to 8 KTS under sails

Distance 137 miles in 24 hours miles sailed with a total of 1786 miles sailed so far and approximately 244 miles of the 2030 miles to go until we arrive in St Georges Grenada for quarantine of 14 days
We are expecting an ETA of June 16 at around lunchtime if conditions stay the same
Course: true ,Directly to Grenada around the north tip of Tobago
Conditions: Swells are 1.5 m and the big ones still throw the boat around

Comments:
We sailed all day yesterday because we could not get the gearbox to engage and it was slow
This morning it started raining heavily on my 3 am shift a…

Start 13th June 2020

June 13th 2020

Position: 09° 00.8762' N 056° 09.9336' W

Boat: Same as yesterday. We did some checking on the selector and it went into reverse and it went into forward gear but we cannot test it because when the boat is doing 8 to 9 knots the propeller is turning faster from the drag of the boat than the engine turns it so we will wait until the winds slow down and test it then

wind Last night Was was strong and we sailed very fast even though we still have reefed both the main sail and the genoa down to two reefs
Average sailing speed for the day was just over 8 knots (14.95 KM per hour)

People: we are both ok
Boat Speed: 7 to 12 KTS under sails
Wind: 14 kts from North
Distance 193 miles in 24 hours miles sailed with a total of 1646 miles sailed so far and approximately 384 miles of the 2030 miles to go until we arrive in St Georges Grenada for quarantine
We are expecting an ETA of June 15 at around lunchtime if conditions stay the same
Course: true ,Directly to Grenada ar…

Start of June 12th 2020

June 12th 2020

Position: 07° 23.5740' N 053° 23.0924' W

Boat: Alls well with the boat and she is sailing well but the selector on the gearbox is giving some troubles so the propeller doesnt engage in forward when you put it into gear but reverse works so we may have to reverse into the anchorage in Grenada just like i had to in Panama

wind Last night Was was very strong and we sailed very fast even though we had reefed both the main sail and the genoa down to two reefs
At times in the squalls we were sailing at 12 knots and averaged for the whole day over 7 knots which is really good for a boat this size

People: we are both ok
Boat Speed: 7 to 12 KTS under sails
Wind: 18 kts from North
Distance 194 miles in 24 hours miles sailed with a total of 1456 miles sailed so far and approximately 574 miles of the 2030 miles to go until we arrive in St Georges Grenada for quarantine
We are expecting an ETA of June 15
Course: true ,Directly to Grenada
Conditions: Swells are 1.6 m and …